SouthShoreNow.ca

Everything you need to know about Nova Scotia's South Shore

  

An Octopus’ Garden

Ringo Starr once sang: “We would sign and dance around, because we know we can’t be found…” “…under the sea, in an Octopus’s garden in the shade”.

Darrell “Ringo” Dexter seem to have the same view. He likes to make policy and proclamations without the slightest thought that anyone or anything should stand in his way. Last week it was the revamp of the Nova Scotia Tresure Trove Act. Simply put, this Act was a formal business arrangement between the Government and private individuals/businesses. If you wanted to search out treasure and valuable artifacts you were granted a permit. If you found anything, the “spoils” were shared by the Government and the treasure hunters on a 10:90 percent split. Before you get your knickers in a knot, that really seems like a fair split. The treasure hunters are the ones taking all the risk and therefore should get the majority of the rewards.

Our Ringo and his band have decided differently. Treasure hunters are no longer welcome and the Government is going to undertake any further archealogical explorations. The stated fear by the Ringoettes was the loss of valuable artifacts from unscrupulous treasure hunters. Huh? If you are signed on to a legitimate agreement whereby you get 90% of the value, why would you take the chance of stealing stuff for a measely 10%?

And how is cash strapped N.S. Government going to finance any explorations on their own? Maybe they will use the $3M they granted the SNS Soccer facility ( Just kidding! ). I have no idea. So much for anyone in Nova Scotia ever seeing any of the riches that lie buried under its soil or beneath the waves.

This is just one more instance of a leader and government that really seem to be out of touch. Sort of the way the original Ringo was when he wrote the song about being chummy with an Octopus. Yeah. It was the ’60s.

Until then, I remain,

A Sour Kraut

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

SubscribeSend feedbackPrivacy PolicyRSS headlines Add RSS Headlines
© 2009 Lighthouse Media Group
Home
Business directory
Market square
Community calendar
Education
Employment
Subscriptions
Contact us
News >
Digital edition
News videos
News archives
Special supplements
Regional media
Subscription
Follow us on Twitter

About>
About us
Meet the team
Contact us
Video >
3 on 3 — Local Sports
About — Real People
Face to Face
On Business
U-Vid — Youth Video
S-Video Festival
Video Archive
What's Cookin'
Advertising videos
Community
Festivals and events
News now
Take me home
Streeters
Design Studio >
Web design
Video production
Print design
Print work

Shopping >
Business directory
Store flyers

Advertise with us >
Ad rates
Online classifieds
Newspaper classifieds
Web advertising
Community >
Blogs
Events
Forum
Our social network

Announcements >
Obituaries
Contact to make announcement

TV GUIDES >
Earth friendly news
Printable Guide
TV Passport
Useful pages >
Auto guide
Education
Employment
Gardening
Gas prices
Greatest Loser
History
Seniors
Sports
Stormwatchers
Tourism
Newsletters >
Breaking news
General news
Entertainment
Online subscriber notification


Fun & games >
Contests
Captain Lighthouse
Crosswords
E-cards
Entertainment
Horoscopes
Lottery
Suduko